Xentales

Talk about stuff, and if you must, about Xenimus
It is currently 20 Feb 2020 23:45

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2019 17:49 

Update:
Added a summoner enemy which spawns other enemies periodically.
Agility and player class now control attack speed.
Wisdom and player class now control cast speed.
Melee is smoother, almost perfect. Now I need to work on the animations.
Attack run is smoother. The warrior class is shaping up to be real responsive and fun to play.
Added low level healing potion which heals over time.
Finally added gold to the game.
Added a low level dungeon with a shrine for all characters for gain the Transport spell.

To do:
Add a low level dungeon with shrine for all characters for gain the Create Portal spell.
Create drop tables for loot.
Add storage.
Add penalty for death - All items in inventory dropped. Chance to drop equipped item without bag. Drops all gold on person but gold in storage is safe. Exp loss if dies and respawns.

In other news I am approaching the 1 year anniversary since I've started the project. Can't believe it's only been 1 year. Feels like I have been working on this for at least 3. Can't wait to see what the game looks like a year from now :D

PostPosted: 26 Dec 2019 15:42 

Character(s): Syphrux
Do you have a projection on when you'd be able to have people log on to beta test the game? Seems like you're making tons of progress pretty quickly and the game is fairly playable.

PostPosted: 26 Dec 2019 23:31 

Sammy wrote:
Do you have a projection on when you'd be able to have people log on to beta test the game? Seems like you're making tons of progress pretty quickly and the game is fairly playable.

The last major goal I have is to get the game online. That should be the easy part. The hard part will be fixing all the problems that come with that like cheating. So it will be a while before it's online and stable. But I think I will have something online in the next few months.

PostPosted: 01 Jan 2020 00:30 

Well that was easier than I thought... THE GAME IS ONLINE. I repeat..

THE GAME IS ONLINE

And it runs better than I thought it would. I have to adjust some things, mainly fix spells (projectiles), but it's now possible to play the game with other people through the internet. I spent the past 2 days migrating everything to a database. That was the hard part. Still some work to do there but the game works! I still have a lot of tweaks and some fixes I need to make before I even consider allowing anyone to log in. And I would like to add a lot more to the world and more dungeons and stuff to do before publicly releasing. Stay tuned! Happy new year!

PostPosted: 01 Jan 2020 03:56 

Awesome news man, If you need anyone to work on Website layouts or Logo design or any graphical design stuff feel free to pm me,

Do you have a name for the game and a website?

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2020 15:46 

dworf wrote:
Awesome news man, If you need anyone to work on Website layouts or Logo design or any graphical design stuff feel free to pm me,

Do you have a name for the game and a website?

For now the game is called Suminex. No website at the moment, just this thread. Appreciate your offer. I'll probably just set up a basic site soon.

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2020 06:27 

Amazing job man, i keep checking back for updates and i am so pumped!! Glad your work has been paying off and you are finally online! Congrats!

Im surprised there hasnt been an XPS similar or exact to Andy's.. im sure all the files and everything are out there in this vast internet somewhere..
The day will come when EJ either passes away (unfortunately) or shuts down his servers for good... if only the 2001-2007 version of this game could live on forever.. the internet would be a better place.

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2020 22:37 

Hey guys. I've made a lot of progress on the server side of things. Took a lot of changing and tweaking but things are looking good. I expect to have a "test weekend" soon, in the next few weeks where you guys can try the game out and report bugs if you wish. Characters and progress will be wiped after the event. Stay tuned for more information :)

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2020 19:29 

Sweet!!!

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2020 02:18 

Astrix wrote:
Hey guys. I've made a lot of progress on the server side of things. Took a lot of changing and tweaking but things are looking good. I expect to have a "test weekend" soon, in the next few weeks where you guys can try the game out and report bugs if you wish. Characters and progress will be wiped after the event. Stay tuned for more information :)

Amazing!!! Can't wait!! I'll be checking back frequently over the next few weeks!

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2020 17:44 

Super excited

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2020 07:01 

Character(s): You Have
looks very interesting. Will you be setting up gear progression like it used to be pre restructure in xenimus? I will give this a go for sure if its like old school xenimus rather than the awful game it became

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2020 10:40 

Looks dope someone looking to recreate the classic feel of xen

what type of spellsystem will you go with?

i do hope the one from back in 1999-2001 before the abominable spellsystem update that was 2002? or 2003 cant remember that lost like 70% of xen population

- Geezmo.

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2020 12:20 

Lol @ everyone trying to throw in their 2 cents. Run the game how you want to run the game before you turn into EJ 2.0

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2020 18:08 

The spell system update was more than just that.

It also added Good vs Evil, all the evil races, the Barbarian (useless at launch), Darkwar (useless at launch), and Druid (LAUGHABLY useless at launch).

Aside from minor/tiron/medius crap it also removed a ton of awesome spells. The ability to cast tueri on others. The ability to egg others. The bomb+heal spell. Fragor adgredi. VGV, VFV (later re-added as special spells). The all-your-buffs-in-one-cast spell. Divi+egg. It just screwed up everything.

So much changed at the same time, and most of it was bad. That's why we went from 5 servers to 2 to "one and a half - ish" in quick succession. By ~2008 the game was always <100 players online at a time.

Before that, you would typically kick a free-trial player to login as a paid user on one of 5 full servers.

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2020 13:15 

ImmortalGod wrote:
Lol @ everyone trying to throw in their 2 cents. Run the game how you want to run the game before you turn into EJ 2.0

100% agreed that should be his approach. Everyone has a different vision of when Xenimus was at its best. For me I would play anything which was like Xenimus prior to the restructure. There have been multiple bad decisions along the way but thats the main one that stops me from playing.

Also you should set up a crowd fund of some type (although i wouldnt call it a xenimus clone!) . I d happily donate to server and development costs

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2020 02:21 

Hey guys. I've been working hard getting the game ready for play testing. I've been building out the first continent which has 3 towns and various hunting spots. I need to add more spots from levels 10 to 20. Right now level 20 is the cap. That will change in the future. The game now has 8 classes. Warrior, Paladin, Thief, Ranger, Priest, Cleric, Wizard and Necromancer. I am switching things up a bit from Xenimus in regards to classes. Warrior and Paladin right now is pretty much the same as xen. Thief will be a class focused on speed and duel wield which can't wear plate. Ranger will be the bow class (0 development done so far here), Priests will be a cloth only mage type which focuses on healing and damage with holy magic. Wizard will be similar to xenimus. Cleric will be similar to xen but will be more of a hybrid between figther type and magic/healing type. They will get attack run. Necromancer is a class kind of like warlock but it can summon a hoard of skeletons. Kind of reminds me of the diablo 2 necomancer. The pets are fully automatic and are 1000% better than EJs. I also have a guardian spell for priests where they can summon an entity to protect them. Most of the classes are shaping up quite well and are fun to play. A few others still need more time to mature. Soon I want to put in some kind of talent system. I really like the POE talent trees. Maybe I'll do something like that but less crazy. Let me know what you think.

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2020 03:31 

Sounds awesome dude, been waiting to see what you do differently and the classes sound amazing. Any time frame when you will open the game up for us to test?

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2020 04:56 

Character(s): No Longer Playing
Sounds great man! Super excited about this.

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2020 09:34 

the old mystic and spirit gear looks so good! Cant imagine how large a project it is to create content, gear (stats, how and where it drops) , what character stats do, how levelling works..., how classes work, spells etc.

Guessing its hard to release a map maker for those of us illiterate in programming so others could work on content/dungeons to help out?

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2020 20:36 

He's using Unity and someone's MDJ ripper project as the basis for his project. MDJ is Xenimus's propriety format.

If you want to do what he's doing the project he based this on is publicly available. I'm sure you could submit a scene to him. Anyone can use Unity for free and anyone can make a Xenimus clone. It's very user friendly, don't really need to know much programming to learn Unity.

Instructions here:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=95234

The MDJ ripper can pull any old or new model you'd want. I was able to make what he's made pretty quickly.

The project comes with:
- MDJ ripper (pull MDJ files from any Xenimus install)
- Example scene (showing how to put together the textures, races, etc. and animations)
- Xenimus's Camera (proprietary to Xenimus with its odd projection)

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2020 07:55 

Character(s): tfc
this is all looking awsome. great work.

PostPosted: 05 Feb 2020 14:41 

Character(s): BeenPked
This looks amazing great work dude! I haven't been able to stand Xen since the restructure but i would definitely play this! I love the fact your doing things your own way -especially with the stats!

if you need good stat inspiration look at something like pillars of eternity 2 - they found a way for every stat to be good for every class in different ways making cool builds

PostPosted: 05 Feb 2020 16:47 

Character(s): BeenPked
Oh and would you ever add the original gnome model back in? ;)

PostPosted: 06 Feb 2020 06:12 

Character(s): Jeebus
Looks nifty, well done.

PostPosted: 06 Feb 2020 09:30 

BeenPked wrote:

Any MDJ file can be imported. He's using someone else's project which includes an MDJ importer and texture mapping in Unity. You can download any version of Xenimus and pull in the models. Some of the old models are still in the current install folder even though they aren't used. I was looking at the old bug model in Unity the other day.

PostPosted: 07 Feb 2020 16:31 

Hey guys. I spent many many hours the past week revamping parts of the network code so hopefully things will scale well and the game will be able to handle a good amount of players. Very curious how many it can handle before things start breaking down. I'm going do some testing next week to get an idea. After that I will hold an open alpha to see how stable things are. Then I will get your feedback and implement fixes and suggestions, and then release an open beta. I'm not sure how well the server I am using for testing will handle a real live game so I might have to upgrade. We'll see. I expect the alpha to start some day next week. Not sure on the day but possibly Sunday. I'll keep you posted. Just be aware, in the alpha there will be problems. You will probably lose your inventory, find dupe bugs, or crash the server. All accounts could be wiped any time and the server can be down at anytime. I guarentee no stability in the alpha. Or the beta for that matter.

On another note I implemented the old xen models for human, gnome and scallion. When you make a new character you can toggle a 'legacy model' checkbox. You can only select this option when you create your character. So there will be 2 versions of humans, gnomes and scallions running around which should be cool. For armors there is no old model available it defaults back to the newer version. Using these old models brings back so much nostalgia it's crazy.

Till the alpha I'll be fixing and adding minor things and adding game content.

PostPosted: 07 Feb 2020 16:33 

Street Fighter wrote:
BeenPked wrote:

Any MDJ file can be imported. He's using someone else's project which includes an MDJ importer and texture mapping in Unity. You can download any version of Xenimus and pull in the models. Some of the old models are still in the current install folder even though they aren't used. I was looking at the old bug model in Unity the other day.

I'm not using someone elses project. I created this game from scratch originally using cubes for models. I used the MDJconverter that Karl created after I asked him. Not all models work. Females for example have problems.

PostPosted: 07 Feb 2020 19:52 
I don't think I'm very good at this

Character(s): Doffenfan186
Astrix wrote:
Females for example have problems.

hah.

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2020 09:38 

Here's some various female races, a chicken, a scallion, some different tile textures.
Spoiler:

I guess my version of this will have a female lead because they aren't broken.

Last edited by Street Fighter on 08 Feb 2020 14:52, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2020 14:08 

im looking forward to the alpha release regardless of what assistance came from where. It doesent appear anyone else is close to what Astrix has created and i dont think anyone is able to use what Karl created (I doubt I can without spending days trying to work it all out).

Ultimately it seems a very large project to program characters (stats + their impact, levels, exp and their impact, classes and their impact), gear (gear stats, level reqs although i hope not :)! , built ins and how those all work), monsters (their stats, what exp they give, what they drop), drop rate etc etc.

Im looking forward to the release although sceptical all this can be covered by one person without it being a full time project

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2020 16:17 

Street Fighter wrote:
Here's some various female races, a chicken, a scallion, some different tile textures.
Spoiler:

I guess my version of this will have a female lead because they aren't broken.

I meant the old skool females.

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2020 23:14 

Suminex.com is live. Will be posting updates there from now on.

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2020 16:33 

You need to implement some form of SSAO, the game looks very flat.